Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Baby Schoenbein Is 2.7 cm Long

Arrived a bit late to Dr Hoffman's office this morning where she did a sonogram of the baby. She measured the baby at 2.7 cm which is roughly the size of a cherry or strawberry. She's moving around wiggling her arms too which is a good sign.

We are now 9.5 weeks into the pregnancy and by all accounts everything is right on schedule. We saw the two brain hemispheres along with her arms and legs.

I will be administering daily shots to Amy for prevention of DVT as she has a slight history of blood clots.

Before we arrived at the doctor's we hiked around Crown Hill Open Space which is only a few blocks away from the doctor's office located at Lutheran Hospital.

Coincidentally, Crown Hill is only a couple of blocks away from the home I lived in from 2003 to 2006. I used to hike there almost daily. So, it was a nice homecoming of sorts for me.

Today was a spectacularly beautiful sunny, warm spring day, perfect for a walk around the lake.

Seeing the baby wiggle on the sonogram screen was a delight and it really hit home for me today that I'm going to be a new father all over again! It's scary to tell the truth, but looking forward to the big event regardless.

I can't wait to introduce the baby to his half siblings. I'm sure they will be estatic.

Amy seems to be coping very well despite her daily nausea. She is eating very healthy and is reading up on the latest trends in raising children.

The first pic shows the sonogram rendition of Baby Schoenbein. And, if you look at it just right and magnify the pic it looks like the baby is laying on his side with one eye visible and a pug nose wearing a Brooks Brothers cashmere flat hat...which would be perfect as everyone knows I love wearing hats. Maybe it's just me but I can see it.

Other pics show Lutheran Hospital and Crown Hill Open Space.

I'm thinking back now 3 years ago when I started this trek and I remember the fear that welled up the night before tossing and  turning in bed thinking of all that could possibly go wrong along with the dangers involved...getting  hit by cars, dangerous people, vicious animals, bad weather, little food, no water etc. That fear I felt creeping up in my gut is absolutely nothing compared to the fear I am experiencing right now. Primal fear. Having a newborn at almost 60 years old! Yikes!! 

And, yet, I am reminded that I went through this 3 times before and should do relatively well. And, there is God, of course. Why should I fear?

I am being given a great gift here. I'm getting a " do over." I wasn't a good father back in the day...but I do learn from my mistakes...which is comforting.

So...it's on to tomorrow with a forward look to the horizon coming up in November. It will be here in no time. Diapers. Car seats. Crying at night. Crying in the day. Night feeding. Earaches. Doctor appointments. First day at school. Homework! Yuk! Then dates. Graduation from high school. College. Bills. OMG. I'm getting hives just thinking about it.

But, I can't look at that way. Gotta take it one day at a time. One prayer at a time. It's a marathon not a sprint. The old days of hiking 10-20 miles a day for months on end looks pretty tame compared to what's in store up ahead.

Grace and peace to you all.

BR Schoenbein
Amy Schoenbein
Baby Schoenbein

April 18, 2017- Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment