Thursday, October 6, 2016

A Melancholic Train Ride Across The Fruited Plain

A book in hand, a bottle of tonic water, and a comfortable seat on the California Zephyr hurtling headlong into a descending sunset. Oh! What more could I ask, Lord? Ah, yes! That Amy P would be here next to me just now!

While thinking how fortunate and wealthy I am in the so called little things of this life, I glanced out my window just in time to see an abandoned house sitting in the middle of a corn field, alone, forlorn passing by.

I wondered at the stories it could tell of the families that once lived there and of small towns that dotted the landscape with their bustling general stores where I could imagine old men playing checkers, and school yards filled with the laughter of children.

Then, in a twinkling it was gone...vanished...as we headed west towards the Great Plains and the Rockies.

BR Schoenbein

No comments:

Post a Comment