Friday, October 7, 2016

Galesburg, Illinois

Photographs show the Railroad Depot along with the Quincy night train pulling in at 8:38pm into Galesburg for the last leg of my trip.

It's about an hour and half excursion from Galesburg southwest to Quincy. As usual, Jim Burns was waiting for me at the Quincy Depot when the train pulled in at 10:12 pm.

It was a 30 hour trip from Denver to Quincy including the wait at Denver Union Station and the 9 hour layover in Galesburg. Why take the train instead of a 2 hour flight? A long train ride is a life experience. A plane flight is basically mass transit in the sky. They pack you in like sardines with everybody on top of everybody. 

During the flight you can't just get up anytime you want. On the the train I get up and go to the observation car and watch the scenery go by. I hoof it down to the lounge car, get a diet pop and mingle with my fellow passengers. I still have friends I met years ago on the train between Denver and Galesburg.

Plus, the scenery is wonderful especially crossing the Mississippi at Burlington, Iowa. 

Then there's my long layover in Galesburg, one of my favorite towns in Illinois. I visit the Sandburg Museum, Uncle Billy's Bakery, the Innkeeper Coffee Shop and other establishments. Before I know it I have to get back to the station to board the last train to Quincy.

Then there's the heightened security at our nation's airports creating long lines and the resultant temper flare ups. Not my cup of tea. 

And, I usually get pulled into the high security line where you are required to take off your shoes, belt and Lord knows what else. I guess I look suspicious. Especially when I wear my turban. Hahahaha!

There's no comparison for me. The train always beats the plane. 

BR Schoenbein

No comments:

Post a Comment