Friday, May 16, 2014

Getting ready to leave next week

Got another great massage yesterday from Monica! Wow! I could get used to those! But, my intent and my thoughts are turning towards the west today.

Probably will cross the Mississippi on Wednesday and trek on over to Taylor, Mo. I spoke with Peg Haerr a couple of days ago about staying at her home Tuesday or Wednesday. She graciously offered me a place to stay. Also, Mercedes and Caleb Sutter offered their home in Palmyra which is south of Taylor on Rt 24. I am to call Peg on Sunday to confirm. Will call Mercedes as well. Both Mercedes and Peg are Apostolic Christians from the Church at Taylor. Doug and Tricia Banwart who shared their home with me in Astoria are members of the Taylor Church as well.  Apostolic Christians are some of the most hospitable people you can find. The Banwarts of the Taylor Church, Dana and Kris Taufer of the Morton Church and Twyla and Art Schlipf of the Gridley IL Church are great encouragers and have been very supportive of my trip.

Incidentally, ACs (Apostolic Christians) are the some of the best cooks around!

I decided to stay in Quincy for the weekend while Monica and her son travel to southern IL to join in some native american festivities. I need to prepare for the road and pen the third article for the weekly column at the Morton Times.

There is nothing planned for today or the weekend. Will walk around Quincy and go down to the river perhaps. Will need to update my journal.

We will see how the day flows. Like the mighty Mississippi.

4 comments:

  1. You make me a little reflective thinking back to how it must have been in the day! The mighty Mississippi must have been quite the obstacle as the pioneers moved west. Wonder what it looks like today..have you gotten the rain we have? Is the level pretty high? one thing for sure..you keep me singing..."just over the river, just over the river, I am told is the city of God..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had storms but no major rainfall. I plan on going down to the river to take some pics and post them for you to see. Just over the river...

    ReplyDelete
  3. BR: If you staying the weekend, think about attending Mass at St. Francis (18th & College). We are going Saturday evening at 4:30 because I am ushering, William is serving, and Kristine is a greeter that evening. But, they have a 8:00, 9:30, and 11:00 on Sunday morning, too. If you need a ride let us know. The Bickhaus Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mike! How's the fam? Tomorrow at 430p I am attending a graduation party for a new found friends daughter. Would very much like to attend Mass. Sunday would work. Its 3 short miles from where I am staying so I can walk it...but would love to get with you guys again! That's so cool that you live right across the alley behind the Wood mansion! What a great neighborhood. Must have been tough to leave it!

      Delete