Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 31-Paris MO-

Camped overnight in the fairgrounds in Paris. Got some badly needed sleep!

Dave Sales the editor of the local newspaper, The Appeal, arranged it with both the sheriff and the city.

Dave is from Montreal Canada originally then went to high school in New Jersey. He and his family have been all over the world. Dave spent many years in Germany. For a small town news editor he has many global connections.

Dave his wife, Sally, and their son, Jeffrey took me out to dinner at the local Mexican cafe. It was a great dinner and filling!

Dave and Sally became vegans 3 years ago and told me their health has never been better. Sally has a raised garden at home as well. Their daughter operates a market garden on the big island in Hawaii.

Jeffrey and I went over to the Subway shop and got a Coke. He talked about his 8 years in the Navy. He just mustered out recently.

Dave is allowing me to write up my articles for the Morton Times in his office this morning. I will then stay overnight in the fairgrounds tonight then walk to Madison tomorrow early am.

Met Mike Sheffield his dad Mike and his wife Tierra at the RV campgrounds at Elk Fork before you get to Paris. I dropped in on my way to Paris to get some water and to rest up. Mike II is an avid and long time hunter especially around Mark Twain Lake. He has a keen interest in Bigfoot as do I. He took me down to the lake near his campground and showed me how something pulled up trees by their roots and leaned them across the path going down to the lake as if it didn't want people to go down to the lake. It happened overnight and there was no storms at that time.

You could see a lot of tree branches and saplings broken off. Not storm damage I can assure you.

Mike is a very interesting man. His knowledge of the woods is impeccable. His wife, Tierra, also recounted how their dog goes to the door and growls many times. Very unusual.

Anyway, I broke camp just now and cleaned up at the fair grounds restroom and am ready to head to Dave's office.

Its hot and muggy like yesterday but at least I won't be walking today!

No comments:

Post a Comment