Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Banwart Home--Astoria, IL

Doug and Tricia Banwart's home on Rt24 in Astoria. My very gracious hosts! After trudging into town Monday night after a very long and painful march I see this mailbox with Banwart on it...and I'm thinking what Banwart lives way out in Astoria in Fulton County. It was my ex mother in law's maiden name. Banwart is a big old Apostolic Christian family(s) from West Bend IA. Its fairly unique to that part of the country. I saw Doug's family in the driveway but didn't want to ask them about why they lived out in no mans land as they looked busy. Turns out Doug and Tricia own Five Star Detailing and Auto Care and were actually detailing a car at the time. To top it off Doug is a full time History teacher at Astoria High. Tricia is a full time mom but was a preschool teacher for the Astoria District as well. They have 18 month old twins, Strider and Arianna. 

The Banwarts treated me to a full sit down supper complete with barbequed steaks, pasta salad, grilled potatoes and ice cream.  Then after a great evening of getting to know each other and finding out about the Apostolics we knew in common I repaired to the second floor of their large three stall garage for the best sleep I have had so far. The second floor is totally finished with carpet and drywall. It has a ping pong table and a large comfortable couch which was my temporary bed.

Then at 6am we all sat down for scrambled eggs, toast, tiramusu coffee and fresh strawberries! Wow!

Heaven on earth!

I find it difficult to leave. I could stay and reminisce for the day; but, gots to go to get to Rushville by dusk. Going to be a hot one today. 87 degrees. Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tricia: thanks for that wonderful lunch you packed. Geez I couldn't believe it. It was just what the doctor ordered when I crossed into Brown County! Love u Banwart!!

    ReplyDelete